The Leo Baeck College Library currently contains:
Key collection areas include Bible and commentaries (traditional and academic), Jewish liturgy, Jewish preaching, halakhah (Jewish law), Jewish philosophy, Jewish history and contemporary Judaism (with a focus on European Judaism), Israel and Zionism and interfaith dialogue. The books are in a wide variety of languages, with English, Hebrew and German predominating.
Special collections include:
- Hochschule Books
- Archival Depot Offenbach Books
- Hyams Collection (19/early 20th century educational literature);
- Siddurim and machzorim collection
- Sermons and lectures of Rabbi Israel Mattuck
- Sermons of Rev. Vivian Simmons
- Sermons and lectures of Rabbi John D. Rayner
- Sermon collections owned by Chief Rabbi Dr. Joseph H. Hertz
- Paris Sanhedrin books (documents and minutes)
- Schorr Collection (Incunabula, rare books)
- London Bet Din Library
- Joshua Podro Collection (rare books and Wissenschaft des Judentums)
- Bernhard Cecil Gillinson Collection (Zionist pamphlets)
- Jacob Jacobson Collection (Wissenschaft des Judentums)
- Victor Tunkel Music Collection (in preparation)
Over the years, a number of lecturers at LBC have generously donated their collections to the library. These include:
- Rabbi Dr. Ignaz Maybaum (1897-1976)
- Dr. Ellen Littman
- Rabbi Dr. Werner van der Zyl (1902-1984)
- Rabbi Richard Rosenthal (1929-1999)
- Irene Bloomfield (1918-2001)
- Prof. Dr. Ben Segal (1912-2003)
- Rabbi Dr. Albert Friedlander (1927-2004)
- Rabbi Dr. John Rayner (1924-2005)
- Rabbi Sheila Shulman (1936-2014)
LBC also incorporates parts of the libraries of other rabbis and scholars, among them, Leo Baeck College houses books from the libraries of
- Prof Dr. Samuel Kraus (1866-1948)
- Rabbi Dr. Bruno Italiener (1881-1956)
- Rabbi Dr. Leo Baeck (1873-1956)
- Rabbi Dr. Jacob J. Kokotek (1911-1981)
- Dr. Jacob Jacobson (1888-1968)
- Student Rabbi Andreas Hinz (1965-2002)
These special libraries can be searched independently in “Advanced Search” in the Library Catalogue.
For a more detailed description of the special collections click here.
LBC Library holds a complete collection of books published by the Littman Library of Jewish Civilization.
The Library also hosts the online version of the journal Manna – the Forum for Progressive Judaism in the Manna Digital Edition.