General Information for EEA and International Students


Advice and assistance is available from the Leo Baeck College office if students are not familiar with the British banking system. Opening a bank account in the UK can be a difficult process. Students are advised to inform themselves of the bank’s requirements and procedures if they would like to open an account.

Students will probably require a letter from LBC confirming that they are registered as students. In addition, they will need to present at the bank their passport and a utility bill as proof of residence. Some banks will not allow foreigners to open an account unless they can prove employment.

Branches of the mains banks are situated in Ballards Lane, Finchley.

Please note that opening an account may take several weeks. Payments into an account (credits) generally take between three and five working days to clear. If a student has an account in the US with a bank that has a branch in the UK, they might not be able to make deposits into that account from here. They will be able to make withdrawals, but only through an ATM/cash point.

Council Tax and TV Licence

Council tax

Council tax is payable by all those who have signed a lease or own property. This is paid directly to the local authority and covers facilities such as roads, schools, parks, libraries etc.  Full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax.  Exemption forms can be obtained from the Directgov website at

The LBC Office is happy to provide a letter confirming that you are a full- time student.

TV License

All students using a television are required by law to pay a television licence. A colour TV Licence costs £147 a year. For more information see the TV licensing website at


It is vital that all students register as soon as possible with a local doctor’s surgery as the process can take time. Students living in the Barnet area should go online to NHS Barnet CCG at

to find a list of General Practitioners (GPs). Students can then contact surgeries to find one which will register them as new patients.

Short-term Students

Short-term students from countries outside the EEA and who are in the UK for a course that lasts less than six months are not entitled to free treatment from the National Health Services (NHS) and need to arrange for private medical care.

Students from the EEA on courses which are less than six months long do not have to purchase private medical care although it is strongly recommended. Students should have their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with them. Any treatment will need to be paid up front but can be reclaimed later. Note that access is only to primary care and that students cannot be referred to a specialist.

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

The regulations for students outside the EEA changed on 6 April 2015.

Students from outside the EEA making their immigration application after 6 April 2015 must pay an immigration health surcharge (IHS) as part of their immigration application. This will enable them to access the National Health System (NHS) in the same way as permanent UK residents. In order to do so, students need their biometric residence permit.

Students from outside the EEA who have been in the UK since before the change in regulation will also have to pay the surcharge when they apply to extend their stay.

For more information see

Students from within the European Economic Area (EEA)

Students from within the European Economic Area (EEA) should obtain from their home country and bring with them the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will enable them to show that they are eligible for NHS services. They may however have to pay for treatments up front which they can reclaim later. For more information see

For more detailed information about who is eligible for NHS treatment, refer to UKCISA website–Advice/Living-in-the-UK/Health-and-healthcare.

What does registration with the NHS entitle patients to?

  • GP consultations Treatment in Accident and Emergency
  • Treatment for minor injuries at clinics and walk-in units
  • Specialist treatment if referred to by a GP
  • Contraception and sexual health services
  • Maternity services

Payment is required for (not a definitive list):

  • Prescriptions
  • Dental treatment
  • Eye tests
  • Glasses
  • Contact lenses
  • Some vaccinations

In cases of emergencies medical help can be obtained by going to a local hospital:

Barnet General Hospital, Wellhouse Lane, Town Centre, Barnet, EN5 3DJ

Telephone:  020 8216 4600.

The Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London NW3 2QG

Telephone: 020 3758 2000

For minor injuries there is a walk-in clinic at:

Finchley Memorial Hospital, Granville Road, North Finchley, London N12 0JE

Telephone: 020 8349 7500

For medical advice over the phone call the NHS on:  111